Announcement of the Ministry of Health on the decision of the Council of Ministers to restore the measure of the obligation to use a mask indoors.
In recent days, there has been an international increase in all epidemiological indicators, as well as in the number of hospitalized patients. The increase in infections is due to the variants BA.4, BA.5. and its evolutionary subordinates. Specifically, according to the data of the Epidemiological Surveillance Unit of the Ministry of Health, from June 25 to July 5, 2022, 19,503 positive cases were recorded within the community, out of a total of 147,623 tests (positive rate: 13%).
The epidemiological course of the last few days raises the need to review the protective measures in an effort to stop the spread of the virus and safeguard Public Health.
Therefore, the Council of Ministers approved a proposal by the Ministry of Health to reinstate the obligation to use a protective mask in indoor and closed spaces for people over the age of 12, from July 8, 2022.
The following are excluded from the above regulation:
- People who actively drink or eat,
- People traveling in a personal vehicle alone or with other members of their family (including minor children),
- People during sports/physical exercise (e.g. gyms, dance schools, etc.),
- Bakers/cooks, only during baking,
- People with special cognitive abilities/mental/developmental disorders who do not comply with mask application,
- People with severe neurological/neuromuscular disease that does not allow them to operate the mask
- People with anatomic maxillofacial variations/deformities and/or injury.
It is reminded that non-observance of the measures is a violation of the Decree and the fine of €300 is borne by the citizen himself and not by the business/property.
The Ministry of Health once again appeals to citizens to observe personal protection measures (mask, distance, hand hygiene) in order to prevent the further deterioration of the epidemiological picture. The Ministry of Health, in collaboration with the members of the Advisory Scientific Committee, evaluates the data daily and, where deemed necessary, measures are taken to safeguard Public Health.