Herbal infusions are made by steeping herbs, flowers, fruits, spices, or other plant materials in hot water. They have many benefits such as providing antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that can boost your immune system, reduce inflammation and improve your mood.
Here are some of our favorite cooling and energising herbal infusions that you can make at home.
- Mint and cucumber water: This is a classic combination that is perfect for cooling down on a hot day. Mint has a soothing cooling effect on the digestive system and can help with nausea and indigestion. Cucumbers are rich in water and antioxidants. To make this water, simply add some fresh mint leaves and sliced cucumber to a pitcher of water and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Lemon and ginger water: This is a zesty and spicy drink that can boost your metabolism and immune system. Lemon is high in vitamin C. Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory to help with pain and nausea. To make this water, squeeze the juice of one lemon and grate some fresh ginger into a pitcher of water. You can also add some honey for sweetness if you like.
- Rosemary and grapefruit water: This is a fragrant and tangy drink that can stimulate your brain and mood. Rosemary is a herb that can enhance memory, concentration and alertness. Grapefruit is a citrus fruit that can help lower cholesterol and improve blood circulation. To make this water, add some fresh rosemary sprigs and sliced grapefruit to a pitcher of water and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Lavender and blueberry water: This is a floral and fruity drink that can calm your nerves and relax your muscles. Lavender is a herb that can reduce stress, anxiety and insomnia. Blueberry is a superfood that can protect your cells, lower blood pressure, and improve cognitive function. To make this water, add some dried lavender buds and fresh or frozen blueberries to a pitcher of water and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Basil and strawberry water: This is a sweet and aromatic drink that can uplift your spirit. Basil is a herb that can boost your mood and fight infections. Strawberry is a Berry that can provide vitamin C and antioxidants. To make this water, add some fresh basil leaves and sliced strawberries to a pitcher of water and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Hibiscus: Hibiscus is a vibrant and tangy herb that can brighten up your day it has a rich and fruity flavor that can satisfy your sweet tooth. Use fresh or dried hibiscus flowers to make a stunning infusion, or add some orange, pineapple, or cinnamon for an extra zing and spice.
Now that you have your cooling herbal infusions ready, you can enjoy them as is straight from the refrigerator or use them to make delicious cocktails that will quench your thirst and cool you down. Here are some recipes you can try:
- 1/4 cup of mint infusion
- 50 ml of white rum
- 30 ml of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Club soda
- Ice cubes
- Fresh mint leaves
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the sugar and mint leaves.
- Add the mint infusion, rum, lime juice, and ice cubes and shake well.
- Strain the cocktail into a tall glass filled with ice cubes.
- Top with club soda and garnish with more mint leaves.
Optional: leave out the rum for a refreshing mocktail
Basil Gin Fizz
- 1/4 cup of basil infusion
- 50 ml of gin
- 30 ml of lemon juice
- Club soda
- Ice cubes
- Fresh basil leaves
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the basil infusion, gin, lemon juice, and ice cubes and shake well.
- Strain the cocktail into a long glass filled with ice cubes.
- Top with club soda and fresh basil leaves.
For more recipes or info visit www.spiceandeasycyprus.com
or call us on +357 99104622