Announcement of the Ministry of Health regarding new cases of COVID-19 disease
The Ministry of Health announces that today, January 18, 2021:
– Five people have died of COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths to 175.
– 199 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, of which 55 are in serious condition.
– A total of 9,384 disease detection tests have been performed with the molecular method (PCR) and the antigen rapid detection method (antigen rapid test).
– 162 (positivity rate: 1.73%) new cases of COVID-19 disease were detected by molecular tests (PCR) and antigen rapid test (antigen rapid test), bringing the total number of cases to 29,130 .
The current results are detailed.
A. Deaths from COVID-19 disease:
The five people who died with the ultimate cause of death attributed to COVID-19 are:
– A 89-year-old man with underlying diseases, who ended up at the Limassol General Hospital, after being transferred from the Nea Eleousa Agros nursing home.
– A man, 91 years old, with underlying diseases, who ended up in the General Hospital of Nicosia.
– A woman, 92 years old, with underlying diseases, who ended up in the General Hospital of Nicosia.
– A 79-year-old man with underlying diseases, who ended up at the General Hospital of Famagusta.
– Woman, 88 years old, with underlying diseases, who ended up at the General Hospital of Famagusta.
Therefore, the total number of deaths with a final cause of COVID-19 is 175, of which:
116 men (66%), and
– 59 women (34%).
The average age of those who die from the disease is 80 years.
In total, 199 patients with COVID-19 are treated in OKYPY hospitals, of which 55 are in serious condition or in MAF conditions.
Of the 55 patients who are critical, 35 are intubated, three are admitted to an intravenous intensive care unit and 17 to an intensive care unit.
C. Positive cases COVID -19 (PCR test and rapid antigen test):
Of the 9,384 laboratory diagnoses performed today, 1,663 were made by the molecular method (PCR) and 7,721 by the antigen rapid test method, 162 cases of COVID-19 were identified, which resulted as follows:
- 43 cases from 251 samples taken through the process of tracking contacts of already confirmed cases.
- 6 cases from 577 samples taken as part of a passenger check at Larnaca and Paphos Airports.
- 1 case of 19 samples taken in the framework retest conducted the 7 the day after the arrival of people who returned from the United Kingdom and are mandatory restriction in hotels of Republic.
- 18 cases from 442 samples taken through private initiative.
- 13 cases from 239 samples taken from the Microbiological Laboratories of the General Hospitals.
- 1 case of 135 samples taken under the program of referrals by Personal Physicians and control of special groups through the Public Health Clinics.
- 80 cases from 7,721 samples tested by the antigen rapid test method.