Announcement of the Ministry of Health regarding new cases of COVID-19 disease
The Ministry of Health announces that today, January 4, 2021:
– Two people have died from COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths to 133.
– 180 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, of which 51 are in serious condition.
– A total of 13,495 disease detection tests have been performed with the molecular method (PCR) and the antigen rapid detection method (antigen rapid test).
– 665 new cases of COVID-19 disease were detected by molecular tests (PCR) and antigen rapid tests, bringing the total number of cases to 24,639 .
The current results are detailed.
A. Deaths from COVID-19 disease:
The two people who died with the ultimate cause of death attributed to COVID-19 are:
– An 88-year-old man with underlying diseases, who was treated at the Limassol General Hospital.
– A 73-year-old man with underlying diseases, who was treated at the General Hospital of Famagusta.
Thus, the total number of deaths with a final cause of COVID-19 is 133, of which:
89 men (67%), and
– 44 women (33%).
The average age of those who die from the disease is 80 years.
In total, 180 patients with COVID-19 are treated in OKYPY hospitals, of which 51 are in serious condition or in MAF conditions.
Of the 51 patients who are critical, 22 are intubated, eight are admitted to an intravenous intensive care unit and 21 to an intensive care unit.
C. Positive cases COVID -19 ( PCR test and rapid antigen test ) :
Of the 13,495 laboratory diagnoses performed today, 2,642 were made by the molecular method (PCR) and 10,853 by the antigen rapid test, 665 cases of COVID-19 were identified, which resulted as follows:
- 204 cases from 907 samples taken through the process of tracking contacts of already confirmed cases.
- 4 cases of 737 samples taken as part of a passenger check at Larnaca and Paphos Airports.
- Two cases of 186 samples taken in the framework retest conducted the 7 the day after the arrival of people who returned from the United Kingdom and are mandatory restriction in hotels of Republic.
- 46 cases from 509 samples taken through private initiative.
- 45 cases from 283 samples taken from the Microbiological Laboratories of the General Hospitals.
- 364 cases from 10,853 samples tested by the antigen rapid test method.
In addition, the following laboratory tests were performed without detecting a case:
- 20 samples taken as part of the referral program by Personal Doctors and control of special groups through the Public Health Clinics.