Announcement of the Ministry of Health regarding new cases of COVID-19 disease
The Ministry of Health announces that today, January 7, 2021:
– Two people have died of COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths to 140.
– 196 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, of which 49 are in serious condition.
– A total of 11,576 disease detection tests have been performed with the molecular method (PCR) and the antigen rapid detection method (antigen rapid test).
– 427 (positivity rate: 3.69%) new cases of COVID-19 disease were detected by molecular tests (PCR) and antigen rapid test (antigen rapid test), bringing the total number of cases to 26,208 .
The current results are detailed.
A. Deaths from COVID-19 disease:
The two people who died with the ultimate cause of death attributed to COVID-19 are:
– A woman, 79 years old, with underlying diseases, who was hospitalized in the Intensive Care Unit of the General Hospital of Nicosia.
– A man, 63 years old, without underlying diseases, who ended up in his house.
Therefore, the total number of deaths with a final cause of COVID-19 is 140, of which:
94 men (67%), and
– 46 women (33%).
The average age of those who die from the disease is 80 years.
In total, 196 patients with COVID-19 are treated in OKYPY hospitals, of which 49 are in serious condition or in MAF conditions.
Of the 49 patients who are critical, 26 are intubated, six are admitted to an intravenous intensive care unit and 17 to an intensive care unit.
C. Positive cases COVID -19 ( PCR test and rapid antigen test ) :
Of the 11,576 laboratory diagnoses performed today, 2,527 were made by the molecular method (PCR) and 9,049 by the antigen rapid test, 427 cases of COVID-19 were identified, which resulted as follows:
- 101 cases from 757 samples taken through the process of tracking contacts of already confirmed cases.
- 32 cases from 620 samples taken through private initiative.
- 31 cases from 495 samples taken from the Microbiological Laboratories of the General Hospitals.
- 263 cases from 9,049 samples tested by the antigen rapid test method.
In addition, the following laboratory tests were performed without detecting a case:
- 517 samples taken as part of a passenger check at Larnaca and Paphos Airports.
- 40 samples were taken to retest conducted under the 7 the day after the arrival of people who returned from the United Kingdom and are mandatory restriction in hotels of Republic.
- 98 samples taken under the program of referrals by Personal Physicians and control of special groups through Public Health Clinics.