Announcement of the Ministry of Health regarding new cases of COVID-19 disease
The Ministry of Health announces that today, January 21, 2021:
– Two people have died from COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths to 178.
– 184 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, of which 58 are in serious condition.
– A total of 11,170 disease detection tests have been performed by the molecular method (PCR) and the antigen rapid detection method (antigen rapid test).
– 164 (positivity rate: 1.47%) new cases of COVID-19 disease were detected by molecular tests (PCR) and antigen rapid test (antigen rapid test), bringing the total number of cases to 29,636 .
The current results are detailed.
A. Deaths from COVID-19 disease:
The two people who died with the ultimate cause of death attributed to COVID-19 are:
– Man, aged 77, with underlying diseases, who ended up in the Intensive Care Unit of the General Hospital of Nicosia.
– An 84-year-old man with underlying diseases, who ended up at Larnaca General Hospital.
Thus, the total number of deaths with a final cause of COVID-19 is 178, of which:
119 men (67%), and
– 59 women (33%).
The average age of those who die from the disease is 80 years.
In total, 184 patients with COVID-19 are treated in OKYPY hospitals, of which 58 are in serious condition or in MAF conditions.
Of the 58 patients who are critical, 30 are intubated, seven are admitted to an intravenous intensive care unit and 21 to an intensive care unit.
C. Positive cases COVID -19 (PCR test and rapid antigen test):
Of the 11,170 laboratory diagnoses performed today, 1,739 were made by the molecular method (PCR) and 9,431 by the antigen rapid test method, 164 cases of COVID-19 were identified, which resulted as follows:
- 56 cases from 314 samples taken through the process of tracking contacts of already confirmed cases.
- 1 case of 135 samples taken in the context of passenger control at Larnaca and Paphos Airports.
- 36 cases from 877 samples taken through private initiative.
- 4 cases from 278 samples taken from the Microbiological Laboratories of the General Hospitals.
- 2 cases of 2 samples taken under the immigrant structures control program.
- 65 cases from 9,431 samples tested by the antigen rapid test method.
In addition, the following laboratory tests were performed without detecting a case:
- 133 samples taken under the program of referrals by Personal Physicians and control of special groups through the Public Health Clinics.