Announcement of the Ministry of Health regarding new cases of COVID-19 disease
The Ministry of Health announces that today, March 16, 2021:
– One person has died of COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths to 241.
– 221 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, of which 42 are in serious condition.
– A total of 47,884 disease detection tests have been performed by the molecular method (PCR) and the antigen rapid detection method (antigen rapid test).
– 475 (positivity rate: 0.99%) new cases of COVID-19 disease were detected by molecular tests (PCR) and antigen rapid test (antigen rapid test), bringing the total number of cases to 40,344 .
The current results are detailed.
A. Deaths from COVID-19 disease:
One person who died with the ultimate cause of death attributed to COVID-19 is:
– Man, 73 years old, with underlying diseases, who ended up in the Intensive Care Unit of the General Hospital of Nicosia.
Therefore, the total number of deaths with a final cause of COVID-19 is 241, of which:
160 men (66%), and
– 81 women (34%).
The average age of those who die from the disease is 79 years.
In total, 221 patients with COVID-19 are treated in OKYPY hospitals, of which 42 are in serious condition or in MAF conditions.
Of the 42 patients who are critical, 11 are intubated, 12 are admitted to an intravenous intensive care unit and 19 to an intensive care unit.
C. Positive cases COVID -19 (PCR test and rapid antigen test):
Of the 47,884 laboratory diagnoses performed today, 3,840 were made by the molecular method (PCR) and 44,044 by the antigen rapid test, 475 cases of COVID-19 were identified, which resulted as follows:
- 163 cases from 1,015 samples taken through the process of tracking close contact (primary contacts) cases.
- 10 cases from 1,403 samples taken as part of a passenger check at Larnaca and Paphos Airports.
- 28 cases from 745 samples taken through private initiative.
- 11 cases from 371 samples taken from the Microbiological Laboratories of the General Hospitals.
- 3 cases from 305 samples received under the program of referrals by Personal Physicians and control of special groups through the Public Health Clinics.
- 10 cases from 679 samples tested by the antigen rapid test method in private clinical laboratories and pharmacies.
- 250 cases from 43,365 samples that were examined by the method of antigen rapid test through the program of the Ministry of Health.
In addition, the following laboratory tests were performed without detecting a case:
- One sample taken to retest conducted under the 7 the day after the arrival of people who returned from the United Kingdom and are mandatory restriction in hotels of Republic.